Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Creative Response to "the Sound of Hollyhocks"


Peace with the Hollyhocks

A poetic response to "the Sound of Hollyhocks" by Hugh Garner

Sunlight slanted in through a gap in the windows.
Its brightness and warmth filled the room.
A wide smile spread across my face.
Hope finally rescued me after weeks of endless darkness.

My wife Sandra’s young face was still embedded in my memory.
I sighed as I recalled her beauty and energy,
Unaware of the evil that would soon seize me.

I shivered as cold wind swiped me across my back.
My body shook violently and my vision blurred.
The Bitch of Belsen screamed and yelled, her shrill voice piercing my heart.

Something tightened around my throat,
I struggled for air, but the grip tightened.

But suddenly, I was free again.
No more screams, no more suffocation, no more pain.

I sat on the cold cement ground gasping for air as a voice sounded from far, far away.
I glanced up.
“Come join us. You are safe with us!”
Whispered the hollyhocks.

 Photo credit: click here 






9 comments:

  1. I love your poem, it's very poetic.
    Also, I like the words you used, it really illustrates your poem well.
    The picture seems to have a deep meaning, good picture!
    H.H

    ReplyDelete
  2. The amount of description in your poem is very good and really sets the scene and atmosphere well. The way you described the effect of the mother on Bill was perfect.
    C.M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool poem! You used narrative perspective and it's really creative for you to do that, it creates a whole different mood from some other poems I read. I like the part when you vividly described Rock's suicide. Nice work!

    A.Z.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice picture and use of vocabulary. The atmosphere of the poem was pretty unique

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Weini!! I love your poem; your use of vocabulary is spectacular. I like how you described Sandra and the Bitch of Belson! Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're beginning is very emotional and is a good hook. I also like the ending where he gets saved by the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I gained a better understanding of how Hudson was hard after reading your poem. That is to say, you described his pain very well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoy your poem Winny~ You wrote it in the perspective of Bill(or Rock) and you have captured vividly his internal feelings though your descriptive narration. I, too, like the way how you begin your poem. Great work!!
    -J.H.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice poem! Your poem is very emotional and exquisite.

    ReplyDelete